The Devicos Plaza, Renuka, Himachal Pradesh
 
Devicos Plaza Home Facilities Outdoors Reservation Tariff Gallery How to reach Contact Us
Renuka Lake

The Devicos Plaza › Outdoors

Renuka Lake

Renuka Ji Lake in Himachal Pradesh

Legend has it that when the evil Sahasarjuna killed the sage jamadagini and tried to abduct his wife Renuka, she flung herself into these waters. The Gods restored her to life and this lake is regarded to be her embodiment.There are temples along its banks, and a track encircles the waters. Boats are available on hire.At the base of Renuka Lake, a large pool is considered to embrace Lord Parshuram called Parashuram Tal.

Jamu peak

Directly above the Renuka Lake Jamu peak is approachable on foot. Sage Jamdagni is believed to have meditated to invoke the blessings of Lords here.The spot has been marked by constructing a temple.

Mini Zoo/Lion Safari

oldest Zoo in Himachal Pradesh

Renukaji Mini Zoo is the oldest Zoo in Himachal Pradesh, Which was initially started during 1957 with rescued, stray and deserted wild animals from the forests.The first animal brought to the Zoo was a male spotted deer named Moti.The visit of Lt. Governor Hon’ble Raja Rajram Bahadur of Bhadari during this time saw the arranging of female chital for Moti.This laid the real foundation of Renuka Zoo.By and by more wild animals like Sambhar, Chinkara, Hogdeer, Black Buck etc. were introduced in the Zoo.All these animals started breeding and multiplying.To accommodate the increasing number of animals, idea of an open park was conceived and the open park was setup in 1983.Black Buck and Nilgai were brought from Pipli Zoo. A pair of Mithun, gifted to the Chief Minister by Sh. Rajiv Gandhi, the then Prime Minister, in 1985, was brought from Arunachal Pradesh and another was brought from Nagaland during 1986.A pair of Lions was brought to Renuka Zoo from Zunagarh during 1975.The Lion was named Raja and the Lioness named Rani.Simultaneously an aviary was also setup during 1998-99.The area does not have any recorded rights except the right to worship in the Renuka

Jaitak Fort

The Jaitak hills is s historical place in the annals of Sirmour. It was here that the most important battle was fought between the British forces and the Gurkhas. Jaitak is the name applied to a peak, or rather two peaks. About 19 km to thenorth of Nahan, Jamta falls on the Nahan-Dadahu motorable road. An ascent of about 3 km has to be negotiated form Jamta to gain Jaitak. A hill fortress one crowned the Jaitak hill which is a steep ridge of slate and which rises above the Kayarda Dun, in the Nahan tehsil. The elevation above the sea level is about 1479 m. The fortress was constructed by Ranjor Singh Thapa, the Gurkha leader, leader, when he attacked and sacked Nahan in about 1810. A small hamlet is the only remnant of old Jaitak. It commands a fine view of the Sain, Nahan and Dharthi hills. The famous Jaitak Khel of Kanets derives its name from this village.

Fossils Park

largest fossils found in shivalik hills

The sight of the largest fossils found in shivalik hills.The park has a museum and life size models of the animals that once roamed these tracks.This is the site of largest Fossil find in India. It includes the fossils of the gharial, giant land tortoise, four-horned giraffe, large-tusked elephant etc.

Haripurdhar

Haripur is the name applied to a mountain called Haripur Dhar. Perched on a peak of this hill like a silent sentinel, a fort was built on this range of mountain by the rulers of erstwhile Sirmour State. It was primarlily meant to guard the state frontiers with the neighbouring Jubbal State as there were constant boundary disputes between the two states and there was unusual encroachment into each others territory. It has fallen into disuse and the part which is still habitable is used by the Forest Department as forester’s headquarters. The fort reminds the visitor of thehistorical period when to hold or capture such forts used to be the chief aim of the conending hill states

Gurkha Fort

It was constructed by Ranjor Singh Thapa, the Gurkha leader, when he attacked and sacked Nahan in about AD 1810. The fort was built with materials removed from Nahan Fort and Palace. It commands a fine view of the Sain, Nahan and Dharthi hills.